Thursday 9 January 2014

Propane Home Delivery

Out here on the desert, a lot of people tend to not drive their rigs away, but prefer instead to have services brought to them, like water and propane. Every Wednesday, there's a couple of guys that come out and make their rounds delivering propane to the residents that need it. A sign is obtained and placed in the window so they can look for the sign and stop. If you don't have a sign, it's no big deal, all you have to do is flag him down and let him know to come over. It's also a good idea to have all the tanks ready to fill when they arrive.
It is $3.40/gallon with no minimum amount. It's a bit more expensive (30¢) than in town, but you get home delivery and don't have to break camp. I knew I'd be filling up on propane before I left here anyways since its much cheaper down here than at home, so it was only a matter of time.
We had a few BBQ tanks to fill up or top off and I got my tank topped off too. You can see them all in the photo below. People come to hang out and chat and find out how much per gallon in case they wanted some in the future. Also, it was on the shady side of the rig, so it was nice and cool from the blazing hot sun.


My gauges have been reading high it seems, so it shouldn't have come as a surprise that my tank took 7.6 gallons. I didn't expect it was down that much. My tank is a 12 gallon tank which can be filled to 80%, so the maximum that can go in is 9.6 gallons. It lasts me many months.

The other thing we had to do today was finish up that chicken. Our food that we bought was put on hold to eat the 6 leg/thigh quarters delivered to us the other day. Today we had to finish them. I suggested we just do shake and bake and put them in the oven. So, that's what we did and they turned out marvellous. Added some fresh veggies and mashed potatoes and we had an awesome meal from our campmate. 
As this is our campmate's new to her trailer and stove, we don't have a wide array of choices for oven dishes, so we used the cast iron skillet and hoped everything fit in. They all fit in fine. Here are some pictures of the process:

The chicken was nestled all snug in their pan...

The chicken after baking. It looks really good. 

And our meal. I got some pan scrapings, which is the black-looking stuff.

A very good meal to finish off the chicken and the day.



No comments:

Post a Comment