Thursday 9 January 2014

Coffee in the BDV

Ok, my camping fun buddy normally makes coffee for two out of the three of us that drink it. However, this year, we decided to try something different. I had got my other camping fun buddy a new coffee toy for his birthday last May and he's been enjoying it ever since and has perfected exactly the right method to get good coffee. So, now we are making the coffee for two. I actually enjoy making it. 

I don't drink the stuff and find the smell of it displeasing, so when we were trying this new system out, I figured it would be the same way. I was wrong, or at least partially wrong. The smell isn't as bad as a commercially available cup of coffee that blasts up my nose if I get too close. This stuff is at least tolerable to my nose, maybe because it's fresh? However, if I get too close... Anyways, I digress.

So, here's me making the 'perfect' cup of coffee for my camp mate Lou. I already made one before but didn't document it. It uses a simple device called the Aeropress and a little accompanying hand grinder to grind the fresh beans.

First, put the kettle on to boil. I didn't photograph that part. 😃
Then, using the provided measuring spoon, measure and grind the coffee beans. 

The little silver thing is the hand grinder. There's a top and a handle which you can see in the background. 

Next, pour the freshly ground coffee into the upside down Aeropress. We set the depth to between the numbers 1 and 2 on the device, but you can't tell that here.  


When the water has boiled, I pour it into a small measuring cup so it's easier to handle than from the kettle directly. Pour the boiling water in until a half inch from the top. 

Using the stir stick provided, give the coffee a stir for 60 circles (about 30 seconds).  This gets all the grounds wet and distributed. 

When done stirring, add more boiling water to top it off, then add the moistened filter and cap and screw down. 

Put your cup upside down on top of it and invert the whole thing like below. 

Then start pressing down on the plunger to squeeze the coffee out through the filter. When you hear some fizziness, stop. You won't be able to go any further anyways. 

Carefully remove the Aeropress and gently shake the remaining drops into your cup and set aside for a moment. 
Top off your coffee cup with more boiled water if you want normal strength coffee or if you want really strong cappuccino type coffee, just leave it as it is. 

Now, it's ready to enjoy. 

Cleanup is a breeze. I didn't think you'd appreciate a picture of my garbage contents, but here's what you do. 
Unscrew the filter housing from the Aeropress and set in the sink. The filter will stick to the grinds and that's expected. Take the whole thing over to the garbage and finish pressing the plunger down. You'll hear a plop and the coffee grinds will pop out in a little puck. It can be messy with drips and such, so be careful not to drop coffee everywhere. 
Wipe off the remaining grinds from the plunger. I like to give it a quick rinse, but it's not necessary. Rinse or wipe the filter holder and stir stick and other tools you used. 
Now, that's how I make a cup of freshly ground and brewed coffee in the BDV. ☕️


No comments:

Post a Comment