Thursday 2 January 2014

Heat Without Power

So, I got tired of having my noisy furnace run to heat the place and it draws down my battery power, I'd heard good things about the Olympian Wave heaters, so thought I'd take a look at one. 

Here is the description:
"The Camco Olympian RV Wave-6 LP Gas Catalytic Safety Heater is an ideal primary or secondary heating source. It produces enough heat to warm 230 square feet of space. The heater operates on low pressure gas and can be wall mounted or used as a portable unit. It is equipped with a 100% safety shut-off valve to prevent accidental non-ignitions fuel discharge. The built-in automatic Piezo electric sparker will last for 20,000 starts. There is no electrical drain or battery connection. The Wave 6 is adjustable from 3200 to 6000 BTU/hr. Catalytic heating is 99.98% efficient (flame type heaters waste up to 45% of all heat produced), resulting in a more efficient and low-cost heat."

You can find out more about them here:
http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?prodID=10320#.UsZTI3m9LCQ
This is for the Wave 6 heater, the medium sized one. There is a smaller Wave 3 and a larger Wave 8 depending upon the area to heat. 

This is a photo of my Wave 6 in action, but the flash was on, so you just see it sitting there. It is a handsome heater and works quite well. 
Here is a picture of it with no flash. All you see is the red flames, so had I not had the photo above, you'd never know what it really looked like. :-)
So, it's keeping my entire BDV warm as I type this and will be getting ready for bed soon. It is not a good idea to go to bed with it on as I've been told I might wake up dead. Can't have that, so it'll be turned off shortly. 
It currently sits behind my passenger seat pointing to the rear of the BDV and providing so much heat that my Fantastic Fan thought it was warm enough to come on and pull the heat out. Oops! Turned that off too. It is of course cracked a bit (meaning open a tad, not broken) along with the window next to it to get the required 24 square inches of ventilation needed for safe operation. 
It's my first night with it working and testing it out.  I'd like it permanently installed, but really have no place for a suitable installation place facing the correct direction. Currently, it is running off a skinny 10lb propane tank while I see how it works and where to put it and just generally figure things out. 
The bottom line is, it works, I'm nice and toasty warm and I think this is a keeper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment